Honoring Dr. Barry Harris
Legendary musician, bandleader, composer, educator, & keeper of the Bebop Flame
Dr. Barry Harris often recounted the story of how one afternoon he forgot that he was scheduled to teach his jazz harmony and improvisation class. When he remembered, he rushed to the venue several hours late and was shocked to find all of his students still waiting there for him to show up. He was so inspired by the dedication of the students who waited so long to study with him that he decided that from that moment on he would always give a weekly jazz workshop. He stayed true to that promise giving his last virtual class, which was accessible worldwide, on November 20, 2021, weeks before he passed away.
The Barry Harris Institute of Jazz (BHIJ) plans to build on Dr. Barry Harris’ legacy as the preeminent educator of jazz harmony and improvisation. The Institute is a 501(c)(3) tax exempt organization formed to protect, preserve, and promulgate the compositions, teachings, and musical legacy of the late Dr. Barry Harris. Among other things, BHIJ is working to:
- Archive the compositions, teachings, and related works of Dr. Harris (collectively, the “BH Body of Work”)
- Educate jazz musicians and the public at large regarding the BH Body of Work
- Conduct and support activities aimed generally at the preservation of the jazz art form, including music performances, community outreach, and jazz education.
BHIJ has launched a “Giving Campaign” to raise the necessary funds to accomplish the aforementioned goals. Our first mission is to preserve and archive all the music and related materials in Dr. Harris’ legacy collection. For those of you who want to see the work of Dr. Harris exist in perpetuity for generations to come, donating to the Institute is the way to ensure that happens. We are making this initial push to raise needed capital before the year ends. Your donation in any amount, will go a long way towards helping us accomplish our mission.
As December 31st is just around the corner, please consider making your tax-deductible contribution to BHIJ today. Donations can be made securely online via our website www.barryharrisinstituteofjazz.org. All monies raised will go toward the effort to preserve and build on Dr. Harris’ legacy. We thank you in advance for your support.
Sincerely, The Barry Harris Institute of Jazz
- © Copyright - Barry Harris Institute of JazzAnnouncing Barry Harris Memorial Concert25 March 2023 - 8:52 am
- Barry Harris Birthday Tribute at Clement’s Place13 December 2022 - 8:34 am
- Improvising over Burgundy – with Vince Benedetti – ZOOM Meeting5 December 2022 - 12:13 pm
- Giving Campaign for the Barry Harris Institute of Jazz17 November 2022 - 4:44 pm